If you were looking for a new home, would you prefer to inspect an empty home to assess the space available for your own furniture? Or would you prefer to see a furnished home?
Some people argue that an empty home lacks character and visual appeal, while others argue that styling an empty home is not worth it.
So, do houses sell better unfurnished or furnished? The truth is, there are pros and cons for both.
Pros of selling a house unfurnished
- An unfurnished home is always uninhabited, meaning it can be shown at the last minute. This can equate to more viewings, potentially leading to a faster sale.
- It creates a ‘blank canvas’ for buyers to use their imagination. Some buyers say an unfurnished home allows them to imagine themselves living there more readily than a furnished home.
Cons of selling a house unfurnished
- As hard as it may be to believe, an empty house can actually appear smaller than a furnished home.
- Empty houses can give the impression of being abandoned, prompting some buyers to question why the owners were in such a hurry to leave and sell.
- An empty house emphasises all imperfections. Even small marks on the walls and floors are more visible without furniture and decorative touches in the room.
Pros of selling a house furnished
- It shows the buyer how the space can be used. Cleverly positioned furniture will actually make the space appear larger and more versatile.
- It speaks to a buyer’s emotions, not just their logic and most homebuyers buy on emotion. A furnished, well-decorated (not cluttered) house makes it feel more like a home.
- It is more likely to create a lasting first impression.
Cons of selling a house furnished
- If you are in a hurry to move out, it can be an inconvenience to keep the house furnished or have furniture brought in.
- Unless it is well furnished and styled, it can actually reduce the appeal of your home and the value of the property in the buyer’s mind.
- Over furnishing a room may crowd it, making it seem smaller than it is.
We offer a professional styling service and have had great success with it in terms of increased property value and speed of sale. Contact us to learn more.